Total retinal detachments due to retinoblastoma: Outcomes following intraarterial chemotherapy/ophthalmic artery chemosurgery

Megan A. Rowlands, Ijah Mondesire-Crump, Ariana Levin, Audrey Mauguen, Jasmine H. Francis, Ira J. Dunkel, Scott E. Brodie, Y. Pierre Gobin, David H. Abramson

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

10 Scopus citations


Purpose To report on the rate and timing of retinal reattachment and outcomes for retinoblastoma children who have total retinal detachments at presentation to our center and were treated with intra-arterial chemotherapy (ophthalmic artery chemosurgery, OAC). Patients and methods Single-center retrospective review of retinoblastoma patients who presented with total retinal detachments and were subsequently treated with OAC at MSKCC between May 2006 and July 2016. Endpoints were retinal detachment resolution, visual function, ERG amplitude, ocular survival, and patient survival from metastases. Results 87 eyes of 84 retinoblastoma patients were included. Using a survival multistate model, by 36 months of follow-up, there was a 54% cumulative probability of complete retinal reattachment and a 76% probability of partial reattachment. 24% of eyes that completely reattached received only OAC without any prior or adjuvant treatments. Eyes that completely reattached were significantly more likely to have been diagnosed at a younger age (p<0.0001) and to have greater initial ERG values (p = 0.006). At final follow-up, 14% of eyes had gained at least 25 μV of ERG activity, and 8.0% had achieved hand motion vision or better, including one to 20/60. 13% of eyes were enucleated. No patient died from metastatic disease, and only one developed metastases. Conclusion OAC can successfully treat previously considered “non-salvageable” retinoblastoma eyes with total retinal detachments, promote retinal reattachment in the majority of eyes, and preserve ocular and patient survival.

Original languageEnglish
Article numbere0195395
JournalPLoS ONE
Issue number4
StatePublished - Apr 2018


Dive into the research topics of 'Total retinal detachments due to retinoblastoma: Outcomes following intraarterial chemotherapy/ophthalmic artery chemosurgery'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this