Rating pregnancy wheel applications using the APPLICATIONS scoring system

Kathy Chyjek, Sara Farag, Katherine T. Chen

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

34 Scopus citations


Objective: To identify the top-rated pregnancy wheel applications (apps) using a newly developed Applications scoring system. Methods: A list of pregnancy wheel apps was identified. Consumer-based and inaccurate apps were excluded. The Applications scoring system was developed to rate the remaining apps. Application comprehensiveness was evaluated. Objective rating components included price, paid subscription, literature used, in-app purchases, connectivity to the Internet, advertisements, text search field, interdevice compatibility, and other components such as images or figures, videos, and special features. Subjective rating components were ease of navigation and subjective presentation. Results: A complete list of 55 pregnancy wheel apps was created from three sources. Thirty-nine (71%) were consumer-based, inaccurate, or both, leaving 16 (29%) for analysis using the Applications scoring system. Conclusion: More than two thirds of pregnancy wheel apps were excluded from our study secondary to being consumer-based, inaccurate, or both. This highlights the importance of identifying systematically, reviewing critically, and rating the thousands of available apps to health care providers to ensure accuracy and applicability. We propose that our Applications scoring system be used to rate apps in all specialties with the goal of improving health care provider performance and thereby patient outcomes.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1478-1483
Number of pages6
JournalObstetrics and Gynecology
Issue number6
StatePublished - 28 Jun 2015


Dive into the research topics of 'Rating pregnancy wheel applications using the APPLICATIONS scoring system'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this