Noninvasive single-cell-based prenatal genetic testing: A proof of concept clinical study

Michelle Bellair, Elisabete Amaral, Mason Ouren, Cameron Roark, Jaeweon Kim, April O'Connor, Adrianna Soriano, Margaret L. Schindler, Ronald J. Wapner, Joanne L. Stone, Nicola Tavella, Audrey Merriam, Lauren Perley, Amy M. Breman, Arthur L. Beaudet

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Objective: To clinically assess a cell-based noninvasive prenatal genetic test using sequence-based copy number analysis of single trophoblasts from maternal blood. Methods: Blood was obtained from 401 (243 + 158) individuals (8–22 weeks) and shipped overnight. Red cells were lysed, and nucleated cells stained for cytokeratin (CK) and CD45 and enriched for positive CK staining. Automated scanning was used to identify and pick single CK+/CD45- trophoblasts which were subjected to next-generation sequencing. Results: Blood was obtained from 243 pregnancies scheduled for CVS or amniocentesis. Luna results were normal for 160 singletons while 15 cases were abnormal (14 aneuploidy and one monozygotic twin with Williams syndrome deletion). The deletion was confirmed in both fetuses. Placental mosaicism occurred in 7 of 236 (3.0%) Luna cases and in 3 of 188 (1.6%) CVS cases (total 4.6%). No scorable trophoblasts were recovered in 32 of 236 usable samples. Additionally, 158 low-risk pregnancies not undergoing CVS/amniocentesis showed normal results in 133 cases. Seven had aneuploidy results, and there were three likely pathogenic deletions/duplications, including one15q11-q13 deletion. Conclusion: Although the sample size is modest and statistically accurate measures of test performance are not possible, the Luna test detected aneuploidy and deletions/duplications based on concordance with CVS/amniocentesis.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)304-316
Number of pages13
JournalPrenatal Diagnosis
Volume44
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - Mar 2024

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Noninvasive single-cell-based prenatal genetic testing: A proof of concept clinical study'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this