Frequency of Culture-Proven Dermatophyte Infection in Patients with Suspected Tinea Pedis

Aaron Fuchs, Jodi Fiedler, Mark Lebwohl, Allen Sapadin, Donald Rudikoff, Albert Lefkovits, Neal Schultz, Sylvie Khorenian, Lenore Kakita

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

5 Scopus citations


Background: This study examined the incidence of culture-proven tinea pedis in patients who presented with a foot rash clinically suspected to be tinea pedis. Methods: Cultures were taken from 874 patients in 4 dermatology clinics across the country. The incidence of patients with positively cultured tinea pedis was compared with the total number of patients in the study. Results: The surprisingly low percentage of patients correctly diagnosed with tinea pedis was determined to be 32%. The remaining 68% of patients either had a nonfungal foot dermatitis or tinea pedis with false-negative cultures. Conclusions: This study demonstrates the need for fungal cultures when patients present with scaling feet as well as the importance of a broad differential diagnosis to ensure timely and appropriate therapy.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)77-78
Number of pages2
JournalAmerican Journal of the Medical Sciences
Issue number2
StatePublished - Feb 2004


  • Dermatitis
  • Fungal culture
  • Misdiagnosis
  • Tinea pedis


Dive into the research topics of 'Frequency of Culture-Proven Dermatophyte Infection in Patients with Suspected Tinea Pedis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this