Bendamustine with dexamethasone in relapsed/ refractory systemic light-chain amyloidosis: Results of a phase II study

Suzanne Lentzsch, Galina G. Lagos, Raymond L. Comenzo, Jeffrey A. Zonder, Keren Osman, Samuel Pan, Divaya Bhutani, Silva Pregja, Vaishali Sanchorawala, Heather Landau

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

21 Scopus citations

Abstract

PURPOSE No established treatments exist for relapsed/refractory systemic light-chain (AL) amyloidosis. Bendamustine has shown potential in the treatment of multiple myeloma. We conducted a phase II, multicenter trial to assess the efficacy and safety of bendamustine with dexamethasone (ben-dex) in patients with persistent or progressive AL amyloidosis after $ 1 prior therapy. METHODS The trial enrolled 31 patients who received bendamustine on days 1 and 2 (100 mg/m2 intravenously) with 40 mg of weekly dexamethasone in 28-day cycles until disease progression or up to 6 cycles after complete hematologic response. The primary objective was the rate of partial hematologic response (PR) or better. RESULTS Patients received a median of 4 cycles (range, 2-12 cycles) with 57% of patients achieving a PR or better (11% complete response, 18% very good PR). The overall organ response was 29% among the 24 patients who had measurable organ involvement. Treatment was well tolerated with no grade 5 treatment-related adverse events (AEs). Sixty-five percent of patients had a therapy-related grade 3-4 AE. The most common AEs included myelosuppression, fatigue, and nausea/vomiting. The median overall survival was 18.2 months (95% CI, 11.3 to 43.8 months), and hematologic response was associated with prolonged survival (P = .0291). The median progression-free survival was 11.3 months (95% CI, 5.0 to 15.4 months). CONCLUSION Overall, ben-dex is a viable treatment option with substantial efficacy and limited toxicity for patients with pretreated AL amyloidosis who have limited therapeutic options. This trial was registered at (ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01222260).

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1455-1462
Number of pages8
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
Volume38
Issue number13
DOIs
StatePublished - 1 May 2020

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Bendamustine with dexamethasone in relapsed/ refractory systemic light-chain amyloidosis: Results of a phase II study'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this